UGM’s Faculty of Law is the first law faculty established by a national university in Indonesia. Formed to support Indonesia’s quest for independence, UGM’s Faculty of Law seeks to develop from a good to a great faculty of law.
Throughout its history, the Faculty has contributed greatly to state development and legal education, and has given birth to legal thought and theory which has branched outwards.
Aiming to create a Bulaksumur School of Legal Thought, the Faculty has bolstered its position through national and international achievements, and is the first law faculty to establish an International Undergraduate Program in law.
The Faculty’s history has been dotted by significant events, as a dynamic institution, striving towards a high quality, nationally integrated, globally connected center of education. Our past achievements exist to inspire current and future generations to greater heights.
Below you can find our institutional history, from its founding to the present day.
The Faculty was first founded on 17 February 1946 at the site of the Kotabaru Senior High School (Now Yogyakarta Senior High School No. 3) and was officially opened on 3 March 1946 at the Central Indonesian National Committee Building (KNIP), now the Special Province of Yogyakarta’s Regional House of Representatives. The name “Gadjah Mada” was proposed by Mr. Boediarto.
Courses were first held on 18 March 1946, at the Auditorium (Pagelaran) of Kraton Yogyakarta.
The Yogyakarta Law School was born on 7 December 1949. from the merger of The FH BPTGM (then a private institution), and the State Law School of Surakarta (a public institution) which was moved to Yogyakarta.
The Yogyakarta Law School became the Faculty of Law following Government Regulation No. 23 of 1949, which mandated the consolidation of all institutions of higher education in Yogyakarta into the State University “Gadjah Mada”, which was officially founded on 19 December 1949.
The Faculty of Law initially comprised of separate academies of Law, Economics and Notary, Political Science, and the Education of State Administration, Economics and Sociology, was consolidated into a joint faculty on 14 August 1950. This was due to Government Regulation No. 30 of 1950 which abolished the various academies in Gadjah Mada University. At the time the Faculty also had a Surabaya branch, which would go on to become The Faculty of Law Airlangga University.
On 19 September 1952, the economics department (later becoming the independent Faculty of Economics and Business) was added to the Faculty.
On 11 July 1955, Universitas Gadjah Mada lost the “State”
On 15 September 1955, the Government split the Faculty into separate institutions for law, economics, and social and political sciences. The Faculty of Law has been independent ever since.
In addition to institutional changes, the Faculty of Law Universitas Gadjah Mada, has also changed its address several times, and has seen construction of new facilities.
Courses at Siti Hinggil and Pagelaran Keraton Yogyakarta
Courses were initially carried out at the grounds of the Kraton Yogyakarta royal palaces, from 13 March 1946 up to 1973 (around 27 years). Large classes (of up to 1000 students) were carried out at the Siti Hinggil building in Kraton. Lecturers spoke to the crowds with no help from microphones or chalkboards. Smaller classes were carried out at the Auditorium (Pagelaran) of the Kraton Yogyakarta royal palace, in rooms made from dividers.
Courses at Bulaksumur, Yogyakarta
In 1973 classes were moved to new grounds in Bulaksumur, Yogyakarta. The lands were bought by the government. Initially the Faculty only had access to one brick building, an improvement to the non-permanent classes of the past.
The venerable Gedung I was built the following year. Comprised of a large auditorium, it served a similar purpose to the Siti Hinggil, seating 300-400 students, while also being used for other formal occasions such as seminars or graduations.
In 1976 The Faculty erected a shared-use building, jointly with the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, and the Faculty of Philosophy. The Building became known as the Gedung Kuliah Umum (GKU).